May 8, 2026

I'm Done Working

A big shift is in store for us now: Stay at Home Mom Life is officially starting:

So as a backstory, Larry has been telling me, for a little while now, that we are in a good enough financial place that I could stop working. Normally, as a mom, that would be music to your ears, but for some reason, I just didn't feel comfortable losing a whole income. I'd crunch the numbers and it just felt like we'd be living paycheck to paycheck. I'd tell him if we couldn't keep our current lifestyle than there was no reason for me to stop. We both worked from home, both our jobs were pretty flexible, and I didn't feel like I NEEDED to not be working.

Fast forward to last September and I just suddenly got a feeling that it was the right move. I re-crunched the numbers and somehow it worked! We could still keep things as they are and I could stop working. We have a big project in the works (details to come) and I thought if I did quit, I could help out more with that. I also wasn't filling supper fulfilled in my job like I had before. I didn't mind the work, but every day was just getting to where I felt I'd rather be doing stuff for our home and family life than for this company (to be clear, the company is GREAT, my job was a good job, the pay was so great. I have NO complaints for any of that, I just personally felt that my time at that job had run it's course).


After talking to Larry about feeling ready to leave and talking about how things would work after I left, we decided that April was the best time to put in my notice. We get bonuses in March and since I had worked most of the review period, I didn't want to lose out on that. I also wanted to make it to my work anniversary (which is in early May) so I could get that little bonus as well. The kids would still be in school so it's not like I needed to rush out of there. We also had to make sure we could switch our insurance to Larry's and that we'd still have doctors we knew and trusted (and to make sure the new cost wouldn't suck). That part went better than I expected, luckily. The price was pretty much the same and all our important doctors were on his so it felt even better!

I started getting so excited about this and decided I needed to figure out a good daily schedule to keep so that I didn't just sit around at first. I figured that out in October and got to practice it on days the kids had off of school (since I was also using my PTO on days they didn't have school). Speaking of PTO, it was really nice to use that up, I found almost any excuse to use it up (and still had some leftover that I got paid out on).

I also decided to save up my Motivosity dollars (a fun benefit from my company) and right before I put in my notice, I turned those in for a bunch of gift cards I could use (things like Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Fandango, Applebees, Coldstone, Subway, Home Goods...places I could spend money and get some fun things or take the kids to go get a treat)

So, April I put in my notice (such an awkward conversation!), yesterday was my 14th anniversary (SO hard to not try and hold out for one more year to reach year 15!), and today I said my goodbyes. It's always nice seeing so many people reach out once they hear the news and say they are sad I'm going, but excited for our new venture! The kids are still in school, like I mentioned, so I have some free time to do some home projects before Summer actually starts and I'll have all day with them.

The last time I'll use this computer

I am SO looking forward to this Summer though, we're going to have so much fun. We have our Thanksgiving Point membership, our Lagoon passes, there are hikes, pools, playground, splashpads, so many options. I will also focus on having the kids to their workbook sheets and I have some fun STEAM activities planned as well. It's going to ROCK!

I also have a plan for next school year, since Pierce only has 2 days of Preschool (his last year of it before he goes to all day Kindergarten) I'll be doing learning activities 2 other days of the week so he's used to that and, hopefully, make all day school not so bad of a transition.

So wish me luck that this doesn't end up being way crazier than I realized! I think it'll be great and I'm more excited about it than I thought I could be.

No comments: