Pages

Nov 1, 2011

Halloween 2011

Well we've reached and almost passed Fall here in Utah now. I was a little prepared to be okay with Fall, but this morning we woke up to SNOW! I couldn't believe it, Mother Nature wastes no time huh?

Anyways, this isn't my usual tirade of how much I hate snow (but to be clear: I don't hate snow, I just really hate driving in it. If I didn't have to drive in it then I would absolutely LOVE snow) but is about how Larry and I got to spend Halloween (more from my perspective cause, ya know, Larry never posts anything, but you know what I mean :P).

Don't know if you remember/read my post from last year, but my coworkers and I dressed up for work (against my will initially) and Larry and I bought a pumpkin and actually carved it and everything. When I had done that last year I almost felt it was wrong, Halloween has become the anniversary of my grandfather's death and I still struggle every single day with his passing, so to celebrate the date, regardless of the fact that it's a holiday, has been really hard for me to do. I have felt guilty up till now that I had done that. (yes, yes, I know you can't mourn forever, but even thinking about him brings tears to my eyes to this day so I hate the thought of celebrating him being gone in any way), but the truth is I did have fun with it. This year I was a little hesitant to do the same thing because of how guilty I had felt, so we did things a little differently.

Friday night we went out to Thriller with Mom, Will, and Grandma. I LOVE the whole production of this event, they do an amazing job dressing up and dancing, almost makes me wish I had danced more as a kid, but they do a spectacular job, even some of the videos they show are creepy/cool. If you haven't seen this, plan to go next year, it's awesome!

Saturday I had planned to take Larry to a corn maze after I got off work since he's never been to one, and I used to go all the time when I was in school. Luckily Skyler and Jena had decided to come along and bring baby Cailyn, which was so nice to see them again. The corn maze was pretty cool and even had fun little hole punch posts at random spots for this trivia thing we got in the beginning and if you found each post and punched out an answer (T/F questions) then at the end you got a candy. I was obsessed with getting this candy (even though I had no idea what it was, I assumed tootsie rolls, but ya never know, could've been a blow pop or something!) and so I even made us turn away from the exit so we could get all the answers, then when we finished and got the candy it was some crappy hard (supposed to be) chewy candy. It SO wasn't worth it, but we still had fun going through the maze and getting lost (and NOT calling 911 if you read that silly story about the family that did that). Afterwards I was starving so we all decided to go to Applebees for dinner. Larry has this thing that he always makes a paper hat out of the ring around the napkin/silverware so he made his usual hat then realized it was Cailyn sized!


You can't see it perfectly in the picture, but the little white thing, on the right side of her head under the shadows, that looks like a bow is the hat he made :) It was a fun night out.

On Sunday we had Oliver's blessing to go to (yes I went to church AGAIN!) and we went and got Halloween costumes (Larry had this idea that I'd pick his and he'd pick mine this year as a change...foreshadowing of the costume pics to come) and then we headed to the luncheon for the blessing in Eagle Mountain, it was a nice day, busy, but nice. I got to hang out with Oliver for a little bit, no pics though, sorry. With everything going on that weekend by the time Halloween had come I had almost forgotten it was actually Halloween, there was no dressing up at work, we didn't have time to get a pumpkin to carve, and by the time I had actually gotten home we were done getting trick-or-treaters and barely had any candy to eat. I was pretty depressed by the end of the night, without any of that fun stuff it just felt like the anniversary of Papa's death. But the good news is when I got home Skyler and Jena had come over with Cailyn again and, turns out, she and I had matching costumes (total accident too). I could never get sick of seeing her so it made my night a little better! Larry totally hogged most of the time she was there so I didn't get any pics of us in our matching costumes, but we did match at one point in the night.

Now that it's the next day I can see that celebrating isn't a bad thing and I shouldn't feel guilt for it or anything, in fact it makes getting through the day a lot better!

Some Halloween pictures:

Larry and Cailyn (she's the red and black thing
in his arms, you just can't see her face)

Me and Cailyn after they changed her out of
her costume.

Larry and I
Jester and ladybug
The good part about Halloween being over too, is now it's officially the holiday season, one of the absolute best times of the year! I love Thanksgiving and Christmas and seeing as how the summer flew by I know they'll both come out of nowhere so I'm excited to celebrate those. Though I refuse to put on Christmas music till at least December! Here's to the rest of 2011 and, soon enough, ringing in 2012! I'm sure I'll be putting up posts before then, but I hope everyone else is happy for the holidays!

No comments: