Pages

Mar 17, 2023

St. Patrick's Day 2023

I don't normally post about this holiday because I've never known how to make it fun before. However, I feel only really celebrating one or two holidays a year just isn't as much fun. Why not do something to celebrate every holiday? Or at least ones that mean something to us. 

So on that note, St. Patrick's Day this year was SO much fun! Since I knew it would be falling on a Friday, which is family movie night, and I knew the kids would rather see a movie than pretty much anything else, I decided to make it a week long celebration

Before we get to celebrations, I have to talk about decorations. I love finding new decorations for the holidays and I really found some good ones for this month. Lots of shamrocks added, some green flowers, and some cute sign to add to our shelves. I also still have our gold coins and welcome sign for the door that are still so cute. I love these little touches throughout our house!

Now onto the week:

Every Monday we do a STEM activity, so this week we decided on a Magic Milk experiment. This one didn't go as well as I had hoped, but I figured it would be a decent rainbow theme. Luckily, the kids had fun with it and making the water turn brown with all the colorings haha.

Tuesdays we do a craft, so I decided to do a leprechaun plate mask. This one was my favorite craft we've done so far and they turned out SO well. I knew it would be a little advanced for Lucy so I had her do a rainbow with some Fruit Loops. I printed out a couple extra sheets of the rainbow template for Cara and Gwen in case they wanted to do it too and they ended up wanting to. They mostly did it to eat the cereal at the end, but whatever, it was a good one for them.



Wednesdays we do a game, well this week I decided to do a St. Patrick's themed scavenger hunt. We even got them some gold coins for the end. This one I kind of screwed up, I didn't hide the cards as well as I had hoped and Gwen almost spoiled the end in the middle of it and I kind of yelled at her to not (not in a mean way, just more a loud "NO! Don't go there!" kind of way haha), but other than those hiccups the girls seemed to love it.


Thursday we made some Corned Beef sandwiches. I was a little nervous about this since I wasn't sure how those tasted, but figured we could at least try them. I made the corned beef in the crock pot, shredded it up, and then broiled the sandwiches with that, saurkraut, pickles, russian dressing, and some cheese slices for a couple minutes. They turned out SO good! I'm totally wanting to try a real one in a restaurant now that I know they aren't gross at all! I also read our "Night Before St. Patrick's Day" book to the kids.


This morning I put green food coloring in their milk with cereal and made sure everyone wore green (well everyone I was responsible for dressing at least haha) so that we still had some genuine things for the day of.

Anyways, tonight they got to eat their chocolate, gold coins for our movie night. It was Gwen's choice for a movie so not a St. Patrick's movie, but I'm not sure there's really any of those out there. We had a great. St. Patrick's week and while everyone may think I'm crazy for not just doing one day, I had a lot of fun letting it spread out. I hope to make sure to have it be this fun every year....just need to add in learning more about the holiday and why it's celebrated for the kids. Now to prep for Easter haha.

No comments: