Pages

Oct 31, 2017

Halloween 2017

All Hallow's Eve...supposed to be a scary time of year, but I think either as the years go or as you become a parent it just becomes all about the candy and cute costumes. I had a fun idea this year that we would go to this Halloween gathering at a nearby park (I'm determined to be more involved in community events...that aren't church related at least) that was on the 28th. We decided to dress Cara up in her cute little costume and walk over (it was close enough and I thought the walk would be nice)...unfortunately it was more for older kids (like ones that can carry their own trick-or-treat pales) and Cara slept through the whole entire thing.



It was SO cute seeing all the other kids in their costumes and we saw SO many cute little homes all decorated (I REALLY need to get better at that!) so it wasn't a total waste. Cara ended up waking up on our way home so we took her out of the stroller to feel the leaves, but she wasn't too impressed. She did end up warming up in her snuggly costume so I think she was a little uncomfortable. We laid her down on the living room floor when we got home and you could tell she was upset she couldn't roll over in it...I crack up thinking about it haha.

Anyways, the biggest bummer was that we were supposed to get a pumpkin at this gathering, but I didn't see where you got them so we ended up picking up a pumpkin at the last minute at the store on Sunday...there weren't many to choose from so we ended up just going home with one. I had plans that we would carve one for us (adults) and then do a Cara handprint on hers...well with one and everything coming down to the last minute we just did all our handprints on the one. I thought we would put paint on Cara's hand and just put it on the pumpkin to use as the tracing, but Larry decided to just put her hand on it and trace it with a marker as best he could and he'd just free-hand the carving part. I'll say he did a REALLY good job since it's free-handed, but it's not the prettiest pumpkin ever. I promise next year I'm planning so much better than this year!

Taking out the seeds to bake




We also happened to get "Boo'd" in our neighborhood...you know, where you get a treat and then have to leave the cute little Boo sign with a treat on two of your neighbors homes. I was so excited to be a part of this so we included Cara in on getting the treats and picking the homes. I carried the treats and Cara while Larry did the running (I'm no good under pressure haha).

Uh...FUDGE Brownies...it's like our neighbors
KNOW know me! Best treat ever!


Now for today, the actual holiday, Larry and I both had to work, but it was still a fun day in our family themed costume:

Get it? She's a bee, I'm a flower, Larry is a Beekeeper
I know, we're too cute ;)
For context, I put a picture of my bee on the flower
People mostly got it.
So we remembered from last year that there's absolutely no time to watch movies AND hand out candy, so we set up our Halloween center by the door:

Cara and I chilled watching the kids, while Daddy
Handed out the candy

Larry made piles of each candy to hand out...made it go MUCH easier
Handing out the candy is always my favorite part, I joke this is the one time of year I like ALL other kids instead of just some of them. I honestly have no idea what we're going to do when Cara is old enough to go out and get candy. I want to be there for her first time, but I always want to be home to hand out candy...it's going to be SUCH a hard decision...that I'll make eventually. In the meantime, here are my favorite moments/quotes from this year:

Kid dressed up as Spiderman: "I'm not the real Spiderman"

A little girl dressed up as Spiderman when I said she must be Spiderwoman: "I'm not Spiderwoman!"

A very small girl's reaction when we wished her Happy Halloween: "And a Happy Halloween to you guys as well" (Like seriously in the sweetest cutest little baby voice ever!)

The giant dinosaur I was worried would fall down our stairs (he was SO funny)

When kids would see the piles of candy on the table next to the door: "Whoa! Look at how much candy we get" and "Premade piles of candy...smart" (we ended up getting multiple repeaters because of this, I'm sure)

Multiple kids when we offered them the whole pile after they only took one: "No thank you" (can those parents teach me how they got their kids to turn down MORE candy?!)

Anyways, that was our Halloween...I decorated SO last minute and everything was done so quickly that I'm making notes to make it better next year. Luckily Cara won't remember this one so it's more spoiled for me....but it makes me better to learn from my mistakes, right? Anyways, I have a headache from this headband I've been letting squeeze my brains wearing all day so with that: Happy Halloween everyone!!

No comments: