Pages

Dec 14, 2017

Hawaii Trip - Beach Day!

Beach Day...you picture it, you dream about it, you think it's going to be great. But sometimes not everyone agrees with the beach. Enter Cara!

Turns out...I couldn't adjust

Morning sunrise on our balcony
 

Today was actually a great day. I ended up waking up at 5 while the baby and hubby slept (apparently my body is the one that can't adjust to a new time zone or something). I just sat in bed looking at Instragram waiting till an appropriate time to wake the others up. I wanted to go back to sleep, even tried a few times, but it was no use, I was awake. I was worried it was going to be a long day, but it wasn't so bad.

First things first, we used today as a "get used to the new time and place" day. We got up around 7, got all of us dressed and ready to go, then went down for our free breakfast buffet. I fed Cara her food while we ate and we just hung out for a bit. We learned the pouch food may be the way to go here since Cara can feed herself basically and we just watch her. While we were eating we got plenty of comments along the lines of "oh she's so [cute, adorable, perfect, etc]" of Cara. Made me feel so special to be her mom!

After breakfast we headed out to go grocery shopping to get Cara some diapers and food and some bottled water for all of us (bottles for her and just drinking for us) for while we were here (another great tip I read about)...yes we went grocery shopping in vacation, that's what you do with a baby. We had two grocery store options: Longs Drugs and Foodland. Foodland had a great selection of most things we needed (including POG juice, which we didn't need, but we love to get while we're in Hawaii). They even had a checker named Cara, but hers was pronounced Care-a. She was checking out a super drunk lady (who was buying vodka at 10 AM and slurring her words and couldn't stand still to save her life) before us and when it was finally our turn she kind of rolled her eyes like "can you believe these people?" Haha. We told her she had the same name as our daughter, who was peacefully sleeping in her car seat and she was bummed she couldn't say hi to her. But again, the friendly thing you could tell made her day and she was so nice to us! We also went to Longs to see if we could find a sun hat since Foodland didn't have one and we thought it would be good to give Cara while we were out and about. Unfortunately, we didn't succeed in that part. Hopefully we find one somewhere along our trip.


Napping buddies...even matching how they nap

We ended up going back to our room and taking a nice family nap in the middle of the day. Cara slept great last night, which I attribute to the fact that we brought her sheet and bumper from home (the sheet was another good tip I got, the bumper was my own though since I didn't want her to get trapped in the crib here). And when I say family nap, I mean Larry and Cara napped, I still couldn't sleep (sleep is for the weak...apparently) so I continued watching the surf contest that was going on 5 miles up the road from our hotel on the tv. It was actually pretty impressive to watch them compete.



We did learn today that vacation Cara is a much happier person. I'm not sure if she could sense we were more relaxed and happy or she just liked being in a new spot, but she has been such a happy-go-lucky baby so far.

 
Lunch time for us!

We found a kitty!!
 
After nap time we went down to the beach to introduce her to the ocean. Unfortunately she did NOT like it much. Granted, my vision of how this would go is Larry would carry Cara as he walked into the ocean to slowly introduce her to it. But it was a really windy day and the water was VERY choppy so Larry kind of sat her down on the beach and let the waves come up to her. He picked her up if they came up too strongly, but she had already decided she hated it. I tried to take her out with me, but I felt uncomfortable with how much the water was moving me around. So I let Larry play with her on the sand (where water couldn't get to her) and I swam in the ocean for a bit. I only lasted about 10 minutes before I touched what I thought was some sort of ocean creature and decided I was also done with the beach (I'm really more of a pool person).


She was NOT an ocean fan at all!!

After I went swimming, I went to comfort her a little
After all that excitement we hit up a Mexican restaurant (Cholos) we had seen so many commercials for it got me craving Mexican food. It was SO delicious (or at least my enchilada was). Parking was difficult, but they were definitely a "get you in and out in a hurry without feeling rushed" sort of place. I was very pleased. And it was near this really cute market and other restaurant called "beach house" that I might want to try while we're here. Once again, we fed Cara her dinner at the restaurant and then let her nap on the way home. We got back, fed her the last bottle, got her ready for bed, and now I'm signing off so I can go to bed now. So far I'm loving this vacation and I'm regretting saying I wanted it to be over with just so I'd know how well Cara travels. Hopefully it goes wonderfully slow after this. Tomorrow we're doing Pearl Harbor and the zoo!!

Cara NEVER puts her head on our shoulders
This is how we knew she was tired
From an eventful day


G'night world!

No comments: