Pages

Apr 21, 2019

Easter 2019

Okay, for pulling Easter out of our bums completely last minute this year it absolutely ROCKED! But let me go back a bit...

So my neighborhood threw an Easter egg hunt the weekend before that I considered taking Cara to, but we didn't feel we had time to get the eggs (they posted the notification for it two days before the hunt) so we decided to skip out this year. Then I decided to start this huge cleaning spree of the house for the weekends and that ended up consuming me and my thoughts and my time. Then it was time for Sunday grocery shopping (before Easter) and I mentioned to Larry I needed 8 eggs for my lunch and dinners that week so I wanted to know if I should get more than 12 and he could make deviled eggs, but he said no. So I got a 12 pack and I'd find a use for the last 4...didn't even occur to me that we should get more and color the rest...womp womp!

All of a sudden it was Easter weekend and we had plans for Saturday to go to Marie's for lunch and stay up there for a few hours so I knew we didn't have time to do anything that day (I clean in the mornings on Saturday while I'm in this post-partum nesting spree). So flash forward to this past Friday night I realized we didn't have eggs, we didn't have Easter baskets, I didn't wrap or do anything cute with the gifts I got the girls, no outfits for the day, not even dinner planned. Larry mentioned we could hide these toy eggs we have that break in half to show colors and numbers, but I said I wanted to be able to sleep in Sunday morning and we had grocery shopping and all that. Well when I got up to pump at 3 AM (yes...that's still happening) I realized that was such a selfish thought. How could I put needing to sleep an extra hour and rushing to the grocery store (like that's a party) over celebrating the holiday with my daughter and making it special for her? That's just so messed up and not the kind of mother I want to be. So after I pumped I took out the toy eggs and hid them all around our main level (in all different rooms to make it fun) and then put the empty container and this bunny toy Marie got us on the table as a fun display for Cara.



Waking up Easter morning and grabbing Cara (who decided to remove her pajamas AND diaper during the night and she couldn't wait to show me her bare butt haha) to tell her the Easter bunny visited was just the start of the fun...now even though she had no idea what I was saying it was still so exciting. I took her downstairs to show her the display and told her the Easter bunny took her toy and hid the eggs throughout the house and she had to go look for them. She found the first one and yelled out "eeeg!" and I realized she now knows the word "egg". She got so excited and grabbed it and she got so excited to keep looking for more. I didn't realize she would pick up on "the game" of the morning so quickly, but man did she LOVE looking for "eeegs" and would laugh every time she found another one. I wish I had recorded the morning, but I did decide to make a re-enactment video because...memories, right? She loved it.

Gwen couldn't hang
We had also decided last minute we needed to get ham from the store for dinner. I thought for sure they'd be sold out, but luckily they had quite the selection. We'll ignore the fact that the lady questioned whether we really wanted all that ham and (from the sounds of it) if we could afford the ham haha. We threw it in the crock pot, we had grabbed some already shucked corn on the cobs and some instant mashed potatoes for sides and we were good to go. I had wanted to let Cara go outside after her nap to use her new sidewalk chalk, but it was rainy all day so we had to skip that part.

This girl loves her some corn!

Luckily dinner turned out SO good, Cara even ate almost every bite (she especially loved eating corn on the cob, which was a first for her), Gwen liked trying the mashed potatoes, and I was just so happy to have such great family time together. All in all, it was such a great day and I'm so glad we were able to pull it off. Although I definitely need to make it better in years to come...at least actually plan it better haha. I do look forward to coloring eggs next year and see how Cara likes that part.

No comments: