Pages

Jul 4, 2021

Independence Day 2021

Happy 4th of July!! 

I had a lot of fun plans for this year, thinking we could finally let the girls stay up to watch Fireworks and I was so excited to see their reactions. THEN I started to look up fireworks around us and saw they weren't planning on starting any shows until 10 PM. Unfortunately, I know Lucy could not hang that late and so going out to see fireworks was off the plan. Another unfortunate thing is Eagle Mountain has strict no fireworks rules in place (so strict that they won't even SELL fireworks within the city) so I knew we wouldn't even get to see them from our house. We did buy a huge popper set from Costco (despite Larry's "that looks messy, you're cleaning that up" comments haha) and had some sparklers and glow sticks so that was the win we'd have to take.




Now yesterday we were driving around (getting some meat to cook for a bbq, last minute 4th of July shirt/treat shopping for the girls, and doing some other errands in North Utah for some possible TBA plans) and that night as were watching our movie for date night I started coughing like crazy. I'm not sure where it came from, it wasn't like "I swallowed something wrong" or anything, just constant coughing. Larry was joking it was covid, but I knew it couldn't be. But I think because of that this morning I woke up feeling like C.R.A.P. My throat was SO sore, my head and nose felt so stuffy, just utter garbage. 

Luckily, once I got up and started drinking water I started to feel a bit better, but still not 100% great. Since I have tomorrow off (and my day with just me and the girls) I figured I'd save grocery shopping and laundry for then and could just relax today, but it also meant we couldn't do all the fun traditions I had hoped to start (watching or playing baseball, water play, etc.), but we did grill up our yummy meats for dinner and had our 4th of July donuts after lunch and dinner as a nice treat so that worked for us.



After dinner we just decided to go start our poppers. We didn't have any other plans so we figured we'd start early. Unfortunately, we scared a neighbor dog so badly and I figured poor dog wanted to have a couple hours to enjoy before being scared so we paused poppers at that point and let the girls play with sidewalk chalk. It started to rain as I had to take Lucy in for a bath and be put down for bed (I would've pushed it back, but she was pretty exhausted) and by the time I got back outside the rain had completely passed (side note: summer rain storms are my favorite and I keep missing them this year!). Larry, being the cutest dad ever, drew some fun obstacle course with the sidewalk chalk for the girls and they were showing me how they were going through it and it was so cute! 




Well at this point it was almost 8 so we decided it was fine enough to start the poppers up again, but nothing else was going on around us so it felt so weird. It ended up turning into "Cara finished the obstacle course so we'll pull a popper to celebrate that" over and over and over. Gwen just wanted to drink my water so she didn't care, but both girls were having fun with it.


We let them stay up about an hour past their normal bedtime, but by that point nothing else was going on and I realized we could use the poppers at any other point in the year (I doubt they'd be prohibited all year since it's just mini confetti canons) so we might as well save them. Of course after the girls went to bed the real firework sounds started up, but we couldn't really see them so it was a draw.



Luckily, the girls don't know what they are missing so it's okay, but I'm bummed we couldn't have a traditional 4th of July, it was pretty boring, but at least I wasn't sick or so huge pregnant I couldn't actually do stuff with the girls. Now wish me luck that tomorrow goes good with just me and the girls and I don't regret not at least doing laundry today haha.

No comments: