Pages

Oct 24, 2023

Legoland 2023 - driving home

So I was a bit nervous about our drive home. For one, I'm usually SO ready to be home once we leave our vacation and start driving, for two I knew the kids would probably be more antsy to get out of the car, and lastly, I knew we'd be getting home late and since Utah is an hour ahead of California we would be getting home MUCH later. However, now that we're home I have to say it wasn't nearly as bad as I assumed it would be. There were tough parts, but overall it could've gone worse.

We got up this morning and had as much breakfast as we could eat or have the kids eat (as usual, but we tried to push more) and we grabbed fruit for the road too. We got as packed as possible last night so it was just last minute stuff this morning. We loaded up and left around 8:30, later than I wanted, but good enough. We were on the road for a couple hours when we heard the dreaded "I need to go potty" call from the back. It was earlier than I wanted, but I hoped if we could hit up a Subway we could get sandwiches to go and eat them later (I had planned to have our first stop in Primm, which was still a couple hours away). Luckily, we were able to find one with a bathroom so we had all the girls go while I ordered sandwiches. 

Luckily, we were able to make it to Primm for lunch. We also needed gas so we could do that and bathroom runs (again....small bladders were the theme for the trip) and get all the birds knocked out with one stone. Speaking of birds, there were TONS surrounding us when we were eating and they had NO fear of humans (they literally ate from under my shoe and walked over my foot to get to food). So, full bellies, empty bladders, and some good stretching (we also did some wiggle dance videos for the kids), we were ready to go...for a couple more hours when someone needed the bathroom again, of course!

We did drive smoothly through St. George, mostly because everyone took a nap (including myself) at that point so that part of the drive was probably my favorite.

We actually were able to make it to Fillmore, Utah when I realized we needed to stop for dinner (we had enough gas to get home, but small bellies meant we needed food), also we knew Pierce and Lucy had pooped (in fact, Lucy had pooped a couple of times, glad we put her in a pull up). She said she needed to go potty about 30 minutes after the Primm stop so I told her she'll have to go in her pull up because we had JUST stopped (and with how many times she said she had to go right after going and then saying "nothing is coming" I kind of thought she was just having one of those moments again...I was wrong). So we stopped at a Taco John's for dinner and bathroom runs (last ones of the long, long drive) and it turned out Lucy had completely EXPLODED and ruined her shorts a bit so I'm pretty glad we did stop. Unfortunately, we only had 2 wipes left so I had to wet some paper towels to help clean her off fully. We ate some food and then got right back in the car and knew we should be able to straight shoot it home. It was only 2 hours away so we should be good.

Luckily, all kids stayed awake at this point so it was easy to unload them and get them ready for bed once we got home. Once they were down, we quickly unpacked the car. I got laundry all sorted so that I can start it tomorrow morning so we're off to a good start for our return. Other than Lucy's pooping disaster (I'm a little worried she has a UTI and she definitely needs to take her pedialax more regularly, poor girlie) and a few hard times with Pierce screaming, it went better than the drive out to California. Surprisingly, the drive became part of our adventure, not just me wishing we were home already (that only happened the last like 5 hours of the drive haha).

So overall, our first family vacation with all the kids went SO well and I'm so excited we went and got a chance to try a new place. All the kids were sad that we weren't going back to Legoland and seem so excited to tell all their friends at school about this trip. I'm just glad I have tomorrow off to get the laundry done and work on the other house stuff. 

No comments: