Pages

Oct 27, 2023

Meet Charlie

So about a month ago, Larry started mentioning that he thinks we're ready for a new kitty and thought it would be a fun Christmas gift for the kids. I was hesitant though. For one, I just didn't feel like we NEEDED another cat (sure, if one needed a home I was willing to give it one, but to go out and look for another cat? It just wasn't on my radar). And second, with Larry starting a new job out of the house I didn't like the idea of me being alone, working full time, getting kids to school, keeping the other kids entertained, AND trying to keep a new kitty alive with young kids. That was a lot. I told him, maybe next Christmas when I'd be a stay at home mom, then it would be easier (and maybe I'd actually want one at that point). Well, a day, or so, ago, Tracy sent me a text that they were staying at a farm and there was a cat that was abandoned at it. The farmer was trying to turn it into a farm cat, but it just wasn't taking to it and they felt bad it was outside in the cold when it clearly didn't want to be (it seemed desperate for human contact). She asked if we were looking to get another cat and would want to take this. I told Larry and he said it was my call since I was the one who wanted to push it off a bit. I figured since he was still at home, maybe we could take it in and just see how we all adjust (I also was a bit worried since Minnie is getting older, how would she handle another cat...she didn't take too well to the last cat we brought home).

Originally we weren't going to take the cat in until early November, but then Tracy was just heartbroken at the idea of it getting colder and this cat being outside. I keep saying "it" and "this cat" since they weren't sure gender or age. She sent me a couple pics and it seemed cute enough. Well, we ended up moving taking the cat in to tonight. Luckily, it was movie night so we knew we'd be staying in and could acclimate to the change easily enough. I told the girls a surprise would be coming and so as we were finishing up dinner, we heard a knock at the door, and I said "oh, sounds like our surprise is here!" When Don and Tracy came in with the cat they all "awwwww'd" so loudly. They were so excited. 

We talked about picking out a name that was gender neutral. I wanted to name it bonkers, but Larry and Cara didn't like that name so much. We looked up gender neutral names and "Charlie" won everyone over. So, meet our newest addition, Charlie:


So far we're saying she's a girl and she's very cuddly. She has absolutely no fear of any of the kids (yet) and likes to snuggle. She snuggled with us all throughout our movie night and even with me for my movie night. The other cats were so scared of having visitors they only came out a little bit to sniff her and they are okay, so far. No big hissing, more just curiosity so far. 



So that's the story of how we got our newest cat. Larry is already talking about another one haha, but I'm still just okay with these ones. Welcome Charlie!

No comments: