Pages

Mar 12, 2021

Living in a Pandemic - 1 Year Later

So we've officially been "quarantining", or whatever you call it, a whole year now. It was a year ago today that I was told I needed to start working from home (I didn't realize it was because COVID was declared a global pandemic, I thought it was just because I was pregnant and they were looking out for people who could be in a higher risk category). I made a joke that it would be funny if I didn't come back until after my maternity leave and when someone asked if I really thought we'd be out that long I laughed and said "no. I'll probably be back in April." I had no idea that it would go this long! I will always remember that first weekend running to 4, maybe more, stores looking for milk, canned foods, bread, or anything else to hold us over for a couple weeks (THAT was the only time I really kind of panicked). I was comparing pantry stocked pictures with family and friends as a joke. It was a very weird time.

While I know most people are having a hard time with the changes, it has been so ideal for me! I have LOVED being home with my family. It's been so nice not HAVING to get dressed in the beginning when I was 7 months pregnant, not having to commute during awful hours, having lunch with my family and helping dad out! Not to mention I liked being home when I went back to work after my leave to help Larry out with the girls so he could concentrate on Lucy more.

I also feel very fortunate that Larry and I have been able to keep our jobs, we haven't had to take a pay cut, and it's all felt like normal life for us (the only change being that I work in a bed instead of a cubicle).

I'm not sure if/when I'll be back in office, but I am so soaking up all the greatness that has been being home and seeing all the moments I missed before. In the beginning it was hard when everything was closed and I wanted to run errands to get things done, but now that more things are opening and we just have to wear masks it hasn't been so bad. I'll admit I absolutely HATED the idea of being forced to wear a mask, but now I feel as long as I can go shopping and walk stores, I'll wear the dang mask! I still haven't bought reusable ones, I know once I do they'll stop making us wear them haha. 

I feel bad that people can only see how negative this last year has been, but it's really forced us to figure things out that we didn't realize we could do (hello long lines at Costco and worrying if things we needed would be out of stock) and how to handle stressful situations and I'm happy that Larry and I tend to come out stronger from those moments. I'm also glad I never ran low on toilet paper and had to deal with that panic haha.

No comments: