Pages

Oct 11, 2021

Journey back home

Well our day to come back to reality has arrived. We have had such a great trip it felt like a good stopping point. My feet and legs were too sore to continue walking through a city and I was antsy to see my family again (especially after a couple early days haha).

The ride home wasn't the best, though. Yes, the shuttle we were able to take straight from the city to the airport was nice, but finding it took some help from some nice strangers who directed us in the right direction. And it wasn't cheap, but much more convenient than subways, trains, and airport trams with all our luggage.

The Newark airport was the absolute worst airport I think I've ever been to. It was the Wal Mart of airports - 10 TSA spot options, but only 2 were open, meaning we spent at least 45 minutes in line to get to it. Stace had issues getting her bags through security that amounted to now having her kindle out of her bag (seemed a bit overdramatic for a non computer), and then there weren't many food options around our gate so it felt like we had slim pickings (we were flying over lunch time and knew we'd need real food). Then the most annoying part - we had to go to the gate to find out when we could board and they informed us that we weren't supposed to have any carry ons (we both had the standard 2). NO WHERE on our ticket did it say that, but they said it said "basic economy" which means no bags. I don't understand that, especially when we saw people with 4 large bags going on the plane. I'll never fly United ever again because of this! We were able to get an exception to our bags and get on the flight - and even got people to move so we could sit together, but they didn't have movie options, just direct TV so if a movie started soon, you could watch that, but otherwise you just had to watch what was on when it was on. Oh and no caption options, which I like to have. The flight home was extremely bumpy and I was way too tired to read, I ended up sleeping most of the way (even with that it felt like such a looong flight). Because of all the turbulence I felt so sick and had a pressure headache by the time we landed, we were SO ready to get into a car to get home. I still had quite a bit of food left over too so it felt like I had overspent on that...just all over felt gross and like I needed an apple or something healthy.

Luckily, Larry was able to get the girls up earlier and meet us at the airport within a decent time frame and we were able to get Stacey to her mom's house to start her drive home (I felt SO bad she still had such a long leg ahead of her, but she made it home perfectly fine). I was good enough until after dinner, but then my sinuses started hurting SO badly. I've had trouble winking my left eye or clenching my jaw. I'm SO exhausted and ready for bed. The girls are down now so I think I'm going to skip unpacking and go to bed and take care of that stuff tomorrow! Good night blogging world - it was such a nice trip and I'm definitely ready for bed!

No comments: