Pages

Oct 15, 2021

When Sickness Took Over Our House

So let me just say how miserable this last (almost) month has been! Cara started school on September 2nd and on the 5th she was acting very down and sad. I thought she was depressed, but then Larry said she mentioned her ear hurting and we realized it was probably a sickness from starting school. We got her some Tylenol and let her rest the rest of the night. 

I was keeping on top of temperature checks and she'd go back and forth on having a fever. She never had one when it was school day so I'd let her go back. Well after another week Lucy started to act sick and then it hit me. And it just kept going. Luckily Larry and Gwen never caught anything, but we could not get it to stop going back and forth between the rest of us. I'd have maybe a couple good days and then be back down. I had a feeling mine was just because I'm pregnant so my immune system isn't as good as it usually is, but couldn't figure out Cara and Lucy. We were giving them medicine, I got humidifiers, letting them rest....everything we could think of. I didn't feel we needed to go to the doctor because they never had high fevers and I figured as long as they could rest and get medicine it would go away. 

I finally had to call my midwives to ask what I could take for a cough because I couldn't stop coughing. Especially after my 2nd covid dose, I was up coughing ALL night long and my nose was plugged up so I couldn't breath on top of everything. I ended up stealing the girls humidifier so I could breath at night before my New York trip. 


Luckily, while I was away I was feeling so much better and Larry said the girls were doing great and didn't have issues. He even took them out to Nickel City to have fun. When I got back, though, it hit the fan! Cara ended up having to come home early on Tuesday with a fever of 102. She came home and immediately went to bed and slept for hours. Up until Thursday she was sleeping ALL day and night long and would hardly eat anything. I was really getting worried so I finally made a doctor appointment for Thursday morning. They said she most likely had an ear infection and possibly sinus infection so they prescribed amoxicillin for her that we immediately got right then. She didn't love it (and still cries a little when she has to take it), but it's been helping her feel so much better already. We are keeping this weekend open in case everyone is feeling a little sick, but hopefully we can get out a bit and get some fresh air (our house is smelling a little lived in and needs us to get out haha).

Anyways, I'm glad I'm feeling so much better and can help take care of any sick kiddos, but I hope they can stay not sick for a while! We are definitely using hand sanitizer a lot more and I'm washing my hands any chance I get to keep it at bay for me at the very least!

No comments: