Pages

Dec 31, 2022

My Birthday Celebration

Oh 35, I am not sure how to feel about this age. I thought it would feel bigger. Larry and I said we'd be growing our family until we turned 35 (originally I was willing to go until he is 35, but after 4 kids and feeling done I'm more content with saying I'm 35 and we're good) so I thought it would feel like I was almost leveling up to my next chapter. That doesn't seem to be the case this year.

I had hoped to celebrate my birthday on the 17th, but then I decided I wanted to do a family day that day and we had to do some non-birthday celebration things that morning (plus I figured it would be easier to celebrate after Christmas in case I wanted a mini shopping trip) so I had to push it back. I'm used to that, it's nothing new, I wasn't disappointed. 

The part that was disappointing, however, was the fact that on my actual birthday day I felt forgotten. Larry normally sets an alarm at midnight to wish me a happy birthday or makes sure to do it the second we get up. This year, it took him a bit longer and I was feeling sad about that. Then I waited for some family texts to tell me happy birthday or some from my close friends, but nothing. We got to almost lunch time and were headed out to Larry's family Christmas party and Larry was the only one who told me happy birthday. I was in tears about how my birthday is always so hard, you just want to feel special and I couldn't feel less special. I hated starting my day feeling so bummed and then I felt stupid for letting it effect me so much. Luckily, after the party, I started to get more texts and messages so it helped a little and I felt less stupid. 

So I had made plans that I'd clean the house on the 30th (because I NEED to start the year off with a clean house) and then on Saturday (the 31st) we'd go out. I decided I wanted Kneaders breakfast in bed (and to sleep in a bit), maybe go out for lunch, go see a movie (if there are any good ones playing in theaters), go out shopping for some new jeans and snow boots (my jeans are getting ripped up and I have no snow boots), and then do pizza for dinner since it's New Years Eve and that's what we always do.

We got the breakfast ordered the day before, I was so excited to try their breakfast sandwich and, of course, a brownie and orange juice! Unfortunately, I don't think I explained it to Larry well enough. He did let me sleep in, but then he brought me food and said "come down when you're done" and left. I expected the typical movie breakfast in bed where everyone comes in and brings me food haha. It was fine, I ended up going downstairs to eat with my family, the way it should be. 

I had decided against going to see a movie since there weren't any good ones out in theaters, but I got a Vudu gift card from work so I figured I'd shut myself in our room, close all the doors and drapes to black it out as much as possible, keep my phone across the room so I don't get tempted to distract myself, get my treats and enjoy a movie. I chose Smile :D I didn't want to go out for lunch since we ordered out for breakfast and we were planning on pizza for dinner and that felt like enough going out. After my movie we went out to get me snow boots. It ended up taking a bit longer than I expected (but I did find some really cute ones) so we couldn't get me new jeans, but we got our pizza and headed home for dinner. 

We put the kids to bed and started our New Years Eve celebration (for another post). Overall, it was a nice celebratory day and it almost completely made up for my actual birthday. I love the idea of watching a movie at home from now on. It's MUCH cheaper, more comfortable, and I feel like a lot more options available. I only used part of my gift card so more at home movie days might be happening this next year haha. We got some fun popcorn containers and I'm going to get a new drink cup (like an insulated tumbler that looks like a fountain cup so it feels like I'm getting popcorn and a drink and candy from the actual theater...it's all about making it like an experience!). These are signs you are getting old, when a new cup and watching movies at home are super exciting!

I definitely don't feel 35, but I'm not really sure how old I feel, but I'm now mid-thirties. Hopefully it's a good stepping stone onto the next part of our lives. 

No comments: