Pages

Jan 1, 2023

New Year's Eve and Day

Just like all holidays for 2022, New Years was a great one! I am trying to find ways to incorporate the celebrations for our kids to join in on, but without keeping them up so late. While I know Cara and Gwen could probably handle staying up a little later than normal, I'm just not ready to worry about that. 

My plan was to divide the night into half hour increments and do something for that time (so 5:30 would be dinner, 6 would be some sort of craft like making a noisemaker, 6:30 dessert, 7 game, 7:30 a "toast"/noise maker time, things like that). However, the day was my birthday celebration day so it kind of intruded on our night with the kids. We did end up playing a couple games and obviously doing dinner (our traditional pizza). But I didn't make a dessert or have a craft ready to make, I didn't have any special drinks for a toast, so basically we had dinner, played a couple games, let the kids go crazy while we tidied a bit, and then got them ready for bed. 

Luckily, Larry and I were able to stick with our game night while having the Rockin' Eve on in the background. I will say I think I've outgrown the ball drop show, we may just put movies on in the future and just set an alarm for 11:59 haha. Game night also had a bit of a change. For one, we normally only play like 2, maybe 3 games (Larry always chooses Monopoly that takes forever), but this time we decided to cut off games after so long and declare a winner and move on to the next one. Might sound like we rushed things, but we actually had a lot more fun this way. Second, normally Larry wins ALL the games, I might win 1, but this time it was actually 50/50 on winners haha. It was so nice to actually win more, or any haha.

We also did our usual discussion cards where we ask each other the conversation question on the card and talk about it for a bit. I love that part. We always learn a little more about each other and it's fun. Once we saw the ball was dropping we did our New Years kiss. I knew I had to go to bed at that point, I was so tired and with 4 young kids I knew they'd have us up early (the girls love to get up early and play in each others rooms and they are NOT quiet). I ended up staying up until 1:30 talking with Larry about all sorts of things. So needless to say I have been pretty tired today (luckily, the girls gave me until 6:45 before starting their morning raucous).

I do have a lot I'd like to get done today and I'm so happy to have today and tomorrow off. I have plans to really get our house purged and cleaned out over the next few months. This wasn't a New Years goal or anything, just timing was right, but I'm excited to get it done finally!

Anyways, I feel we had a great 2022 and I'm looking forward to an even better year for 2023. We've got some fun plans for this year so I look forward to all that, while enjoying all the little moments in between. 

No comments: