Pages

Sep 30, 2023

Boston 2023 - Our Last Full Day

Okay, Boston has mostly won me over after today! After our first day and a half in Boston I wasn't sure I was as excited about this trip as I thought I would be. I expected more and the fact that the trees are still green was kind of disappointing.

Then today happened. We didn't have anything set in stone, it was just a whatever day to explore the city and really get a fill of it. 

Stace said the thing we definitely had to do was the Boston Tea Party Museum, so we headed there first. Unfortunately, the morning tours were booked so we decided to grab the one at 1 and go explore, stop at the tea room for lunch, and then do the museum. We did some gift shopping in the Commons and found some good things and just took our time.


We then headed over to Abigail's Tea Room. I was excited to try Boston Cream Pie and Clam Chowder (new things AND both seemed to be big in Boston). The food was awful! I do NOT like Clam Chowder it turns out. I did order a salad as well so that was a saving grace, but it took SO long to get and it was just in a plastic container so I didn't understand why it wasn't available immediately. We both agreed this place was NOT worth the money. I was kind of bummed we wasted a meal there. Luckily, the Boston Cream Pie was really good so that was something.

Benjamin Franklin's burial site

We then hit up the Museum. This was one of my favorite things. It was super interactive and informative. It was, overall, such a fun experience. We even got to "throw" tea over the side of the ship (which was oddly fun). I felt like I learned SO much about events leading up to our Revolution that I didn't realize were such a big part of it (which is really what I wanted out of this trip). After the tea information they had a short little video of one of the battles and it made me itch for some good movie that would explain this time in our history. They had a National Geographic video in the gift shop, but it was 5 hours and, realistically, I'm never going to watch a 5 hour video enough times that owning it makes sense. I may need to find a way to rent it or borrow it from someone (I'll need to find said someone first though).

After that museum, we headed to the Old South Meeting House. This place was SO beautiful and going there was also really informative. I didn't realize why there was a lion an unicorn on the outside until we went inside and read a lot of the things. Even though it wasn't the original one, it was SO cool seeing the stands and pews and thinking about the historic moments that happened there.


That museum had a 2 for 1 deal where we could get tickets to the Old State House as well, so we headed over there. This one had a lot of information on the Presidents (although seeing our more recent ones there made me feel like the definition of President has changed WAY too much over the decades) and then there was a guide that told us a lot of information on how the house was used and things that were decided there. I absolutely LOVED that. Core memories made for sure!

Didn't realize it was a lion and unicorn the first day


Such a funny shirt...I don't wear blue though
Or I would have gotten it

After we finished with those, we walked a lot of the areas and did some more shopping. My budget for sure took a hit today haha. After walking (a lot, a lot), we decided on dinner at a place called Casa Romero. We hadn't had any Mexican food so far and this one had some of the best reviews. It's a total hole in the wall (we joked we're for sure getting robbed in the alley you had to walk down to get to the door), but man those places always end up being the best. Stace was a little more daring at this place and ordered a meal with mole (I get a little weirded out about chocolate sauce on a burrito), but hers was actually pretty yummy. My food was pretty decent too (I don't remember what I ordered, but I remember it being good). Unfortunately, this place charged you for chips and salsa, I'm not used to that with Mexican restaurants, but it's fine. Still good.



Stace wanted to go to a dessert place after dinner so we stopped at a place called L.A. Burdick and got us some yummy cakes. At this point I was almost sad that we were done with our last day in the city and we had to get back to the hotel to start packing up (especially for such an early flight). Getting home was a fun trick, the subway was "off" for our stop so taking the bus and figuring out our way to get back to the hotel was a trick, but luckily they had tons of workers to help us.

I will say the people here are SO much friendlier than I expected. The drivers aren't, they honk ALL the time, but the people we've talked to have been so genuinely nice and it's been really refreshing! Once we got to the hotel we talked with the front desk about setting up the transportation to the airport in the morning. We knew we'd need to get on it around 4 AM to get there with plenty of time and we didn't want to find out that was too early to get it arranged last minute. They were very helpful with us and making sure we had all the information so that made me feel better about how the morning will go. 

Now to get all packed up and ready to head home. Wish us luck we can figure it out and it's a stress free travel day.

No comments: