Pages

May 10, 2011

The Waiting Game

Wow, you'd think with the semester ending I'd have a bit more time to keep this updated huh? That's a nice dream!
Here's a bit of my catch-up:

So back in March I officially met with an advisor to start my lovely enrollment process for those medical coding and billing classes. One of my big steps to making this my greatest year ever (yes we're 5 months into it and I still haven't given up on that goal!). While there, we went over that I wouldn't have to do anymore testing or pay an enrollment fee since I've been doing the regular classes for a while. He ended up explaining it's not like normal classes in the fact that there's a Spring/Summer/Fall start date, it's one of those when there's an opening they let you know and you start. So I originally said I could start June since I didn't know when the semester would end and he took down my information and added me to "the list" of those to contact. After a couple days I looked into the semester schedule and saw I'd actually be ready early May so I emailed them (since I'm TERRIBLE with names and couldn't remember the name of the advisor) and told them I could start May 9th. I received a not so exciting email back saying there wasn't any current openings and they didn't know when there would be one. GREAT! So I figured just keep my fingers crossed and whatever happens happens and I'll make due with whatever it is

Fast forward to end of April, suddenly all my classes hit with finals week, it was intense, to say the least. I had 3 papers to revise for English plus a couple other extra assignments. Then I had 2 final tests in Math, plus 3 assignments, plus a 5 page paper to write, edit, send to the writing center, meet with my professor about, and turn into a 5 minute presentation. Did I mention I HATE presentations? I hate being in front of a crowd? I hate being center of attention? No, well now you know. UGH! It's just one of those little fears of mine. So anyways I luckily got it all done, with barely any time to spare. I have to say I think I rocked the presentation. I normally turn bright red and fumble with my words and then speak too fast so 5 minutes turns into 2.5 minutes and I have to figure out what to do with the rest of the time, but I didn't turn red, I wasn't embarrassed, I was actually pleased with how it turned out. The other students had to grade it too, which really sucks, the worse part is knowing others HAVE to judge you, but I feel I did a really good job with it. Anyways...So that was all done by the 2nd of May and I was so relieved to get it done and be finished with the semester. I started to think maybe it'd be nice to have a month to myself and not have to worry about school work, so even if they waited till June to let me know about those classes it'd be okay. But then I started to freak out, what if they didn't call/email by June? What if they waited till past August? Should I just enroll in classes in the Fall? Should I wait even longer? How was I going to do this? The strung out college student in me was ready to relax and not care, but the control freak in me was already stressing about if my plans were derailed and it was only 5 hours into my freedom!

Well that night I was working late when I received a call, which I couldn't answer it at work in case anyone came in, since I was all by myself, but luckily whoever it was left a message. So as I closed up I listened to it and lo and behold it was the applied technology center saying they had an opening and I could start as early as the 16th. I can't even begin to describe how excited I was about this, I didn't have to wait and I could get them started and done with as soon as possible. So I called the lady back and told her I'd be interested but I needed to know if my vacation plans (I have one in June and my lovely August vacation set for a week each) would interfere and she said I'd have to actually talk to the center, she wasn't there, just helped them make calls I guess. So I called them the next morning and asked and they said they didn't think so, it's probably something I could talk to an advisor with and since I had to come in to finish the enrollment process I told him I'd do that when I came in. So Friday morning comes and I went in before work to talk with them and stupid me, after meeting with him, getting all enrolled and paying for the classes (which aren't very cheap by the way!) I then decide to ask about my vacations. He says they actually might be a problem but he didn't know, so I have to go back in this week (tomorrow morning is planned right now) and he will take me to meet an instructor and see if it will. So as excited as I was now I'm just anxious to find out because it'll be one of two things:

  1. Either they'll say my June vacation is fine but my August one isn't, in which case I will either need to cancel my August vacation and switch it to the cruise in December. OR...
  2. They'll say both vacations aren't going to work with my schedule and seeing as how I can't cancel my June one since someone else already paid for it, I will have to delay the classes till next year.
Being the true control freak/planner that I am, I looked at my school schedule. My point in doing these classes is I wanted to start an actual real job/possible career in the medical field to kind of hone in on the Psychology field and be in a more related "industry". Well I planned on doing these classes and then finishing my degree by the end of next year so that I could graduate then (or May of '13, whichever they'd let me choose), but if I had to move these classes I'd have to push that back and I didn't want to. So looking into my school schedule I realized I had 8 more classes and I'm done, really done, with my associates. So I now have a plan if I can't take the classes now and, for the time being, I'll do 4 classes this Fall and then 4 in the Spring and then do the medical coding and billing classes. It'll be a stressful couple of semesters, but if I can get it done I'll be excited. But I'm thinking either way (unless I am exceptionally lucky, which I'm usually not, and BOTH vacations don't cause problems) we'll probably switch vacations and do our cruise this year and the Six Flags/Sea World will be next year, if taxes are also nice to us.

So that's where I sit now. The kind of good news is I found out I did pass my classes, which were the last of the time sensitive ones, so I'm really excited to know I'm thisclose to finishing up my degree and say I have an associates! Also Larry and I took over our basement and got to rearrange it to look like a mini apartment (I even made room for a reading nook area!) and the only thing missing was a dining room so I ordered a dining table and so once that arrives I'll be so excited to have all that nice area to ourselves :)

This is the set I ordered:



Once I get the set and clean up a little I'll post pics! I'm even getting a vase to put flowers in the center of it ha ha.

No comments: