Pages

Apr 21, 2013

My Running Journey

So let me preface this by saying (and hopefully not repeating) for years and years Larry kept telling me he wanted to get me into running and I kept telling him it was a hopeless cause-I was never going to like running, I was never going to go running, he just needed to give up. Well after many (I would say unsuccessful) attempts outside we decided to try running on the treadmills in our fitness center in our neighborhood. I didn't realize treadmills were SO different from outside running and I became hooked.
When we started running we decided to go 15 minutes and I started at a 4.0 speed and could only run for 5 minutes straight before I had to stop. It sounds really pathetic, but I was happy I ran for 5 minutes straight, it motivated me to keep going and to keep trying harder. It didn't take me long to realize I could go longer and then faster and then longer again.

So to see my progress in November I started at 15 minutes at a 4.0 speed and probably didn't even make it to a mile or burn off 100 calories by the end. Today I saw this at the end:


I started it at 18 minutes at a 5.2 speed, then I raised the speed to 5.5 at the 15/16 minute mark and then the time up to 20 minutes. After a little while I then raised it to 22 minutes. With cool down included I ran 27 minutes, I passed 200 calories and the 2 mile mark. This whole time I've yet to pass those last two milestones! I felt AMAZING! I know it's no marathon, but I'm so glad I didn't die just doing this, I actually ran what felt like a real run! I also felt like I could've done it all over again once I was done with the cool down. I didn't run at all in December and only half of the time in January so I've been able to build this up in, basically, 4 to 4 1/2 months. I'm still not quite down to an 8 min mile, but at this pace it shouldn't take me long to get there :)

1 comment:

Jeff and Traci said...

That's awesome! I hope I can stay as motivated as you are. I just started running and am doing the Vigor Utah Solitude 5k in August so I need to be like you!! Way to go. :)