Pages

May 19, 2021

Why I'm Glad Our Kids Are Born So Close Together

I'm sure if you are reading this you have noticed how close our kids are born. I know I mentioned before we had discussed our family planning when we got engaged and how we wanted to wait till a certain time and then try to be pregnant by the time the youngest is a year old for the next round of newborn days. But this time around I'd like to talk about why we're happy our kids are born this close together:

  • We can get through the newborn days quicker: the newborn days are definitely the hardest days. I hate the idea of getting through them, then spending years with blissful sleep and then starting ALL over again. It's much easier to just have a few months of nice sleep before starting over with. Plus, I can keep track of things that helped and I (usually) don't forget them by the time I can use the tips I learned again.

  • Our kids will go to school together. This is a big one. Larry and I both had our siblings in our schools with us and it helped us help them. We were able to help them make friends, figure out the school floor plan, and learn from our mistakes and lessons. While they might end up going to prom together (which could get expensive) or other big events, I do like the idea of them all going as a group when possible.

  • We can hold onto our hand me downs and reuse as much as possible. I've loved that we haven't had to buy a newborn car seat since Cara was born, the one we got has been in good condition and hasn't expired yet. We've just upgraded them to a convertible seat once they outgrew the newborn one (usually around 9 months). Plus having all girls (so far) we've been able to hand down ALL the clothes, pajamas, cribs, blankets, burp rags, walkers, play mats, teether toys, bath towels...all of it!

  • They'll be best friends and be able to share a room easier. This might just be wishful thinking, but so far all the girls love each other. Yes, they have moments of fighting and not wanting to share, but for the most part, they love being around each other. If one is missing the other one is asking where she is. And they LOVE playing with Lucy and getting her to smile. Cara and Gwen do great with sharing a room, they love to jump around and play and teach each other (it might not be the things I LOVE they are learning, like making a mess with clothes and taking night time diapers off in the middle of the night). I really feel it's helping them become closer and be friends that look after and protect each other.

  • We can pause our life to have the kids. We can go through all the sleep training, nap times (which means being confined to the house), potty training, all those early stage thing and then pick it right back up once we're out of those days. I look forward to having family vacations, birthday parties, fun road trips, holiday events, and make all the memories. However, I do NOT want to be stressed out about a newborn while doing those. We do still make memories and do fun things, but I can't wait till the kids are old enough to go to Disneyland (we have a BIG Disney World trip planned once the youngest is around 5 so they remember it and it's worth it). I'm okay with pausing for a bit. We had many years before kids to do fun things, we slow down for a few years, and then start right back up. It's nice to slow down and enjoy the moments when you can.

It still might seem crazy to most or others, but we absolutely love having our family the way it is. It has worked out JUST the way we wanted and hoped. It's really helped me realize I've gotten everything I've wanted in life and watching them grow has made me one of the happiest people out there. It's not for everyone and that's totally fine.

No comments: