Pages

Aug 4, 2014

How Important I Think Education Is

So it's funny this topic came up today because I had a texting conversation with both my older sisters about college earlier. However this topic doesn't say college, per se, it says education. I believe education by itself is one of the most important things we could have in our lives, I mean everyone should have a want to continue to learn. I'm reminded of an email "conversation" I had with my bio dad where I mentioned the "learn one thing a day" comment and he said something along the lines of while that's a good motto, it limits you to learning only 365 things a year. At the time I laughed and thought that's still a lot and wondered why that wasn't good enough. Now, however, I see the wisdom in his words, why only limit yourself to one thing a day? Why not learn as much as you can in life? I have always loved being in a classroom, loved the smell of a new textbook, heck even when I wasn't in school I still loved buying notebooks and pens each back-to-school season time in stores, it was my favorite time of the year. School is kind of a different topic, schools can be tricky and I hope I don't offend anyone but sometimes I don't think we get what we should out of schools. There's so many politics that go into schools and I think it's more than it needs to be.

Now my opinion on college is simple (sorry Tracy, if you're reading this it's just my honest opinion from experience): it's not worth the money if you have to pay out of pocket or get student loans, it's just not. UNLESS you are going into a specialty, like engineering for example, where they payout will eventually be worth it. If you go for English or Art History, it's probably not going to be worth it. Another loophole to this theory is if you are getting a scholarship or it's being paid for you somehow, take advantage of that no matter what you are studying! Student loans can bite the big one! They put you in more debt right off the bat than most people should have to deal with! Talk about being dealt a crap hand right off the bat, by the time you get your degree you better have a nice job or a very understandable, supportive family that will take you in for a while because you probably aren't going to have a whole lot to your name for a bit (your debt to income ratio will be ridiculous!). I'm lucky enough to have a smart husband who learned to save a bunch of money which is why we were fortunate to buy a place of our own so young (or at least it feels young to me).

For anyone who thinks they don't need an education, I invite you to watch this video, if you're guilty of any of those "crimes" well you better go back and read more because those things are just awful and need to be fixed. Well that's my two cents, hopefully it didn't cause too much controversy.

Till next time...

No comments: