Pages

May 8, 2023

Sleep Theories Revisited

If you've forgotten, back in November I posted about some sleep theories I had. I wondered if I woke up an hour earlier and took that as some extra me time, would I be able to function still? Would I like sacrificing the sleep I had wanted for so long when going through our newborn days with Pierce? Would it be nice in the beginning, but get old after a while?

Well, folks, I'm 6 months in to this experiment and so happy to report that so far I am LOVING it! I only wake up an hour early Monday through Thursday, Friday I get up at my (old) normal time, and then I get to sleep in a little on Saturday and Sundays (a little extra on Sundays since that's my sleep in morning!)

I  have been able to function just fine doing what I'm doing. Yes, I do get less sleep, but man I feel like I sleep SO well when I do sleep. I feel I have such a good balance of family time with me time. I play with my kids at night and really make sure my phone is put away so I can concentrate on them. After they go to bed I either do a puzzle, laundry, work out, or watch a movie. I do my face masks, I do a craft every once in a while, I have a nice bath night once a month, and I work on this blog. I wake up early and do a little task to wake me up and then I work on my coding learning. Yes, by Friday I'm SO happy to sleep in a little, but it's never so much that I hate waking up early the rest of the time. I also absolutely love that hour of quiet time when everyone else is still sleeping. I had heard about other mom's doing this and loving that as well, but didn't realize how nice it really is until I experienced it.

The great news is if I have a rough night or the kids wake me up, I can always turn off my alarm and get up when Larry does in the mornings, but so far I haven't needed to do that, even for a week I wasn't feeling too well I still loved getting up early. One thing that has helped is when my alarm goes off I ALWAYS snooze it so I have that 10 minutes to slowly wake myself up so that no matter what I wake up so peacefully.

So, to sum up, I think I'm going to keep going with this waking up early as long as it is beneficial. If I end up not having anything to do with that time I'll sleep in the extra hour. I will say we have some vacations coming up this year and I definitely intend to sleep in as much as I can on those days, but when at home, I love love LOVE starting my day so productive and I highly recommend it to others!

No comments: