Pages

May 14, 2023

Mother's Day 2023

Mother's Day is definitely something different, I'm not one to believe gifts are the most important part of this occasion. Rather, I believe it's more about acknowledging all a mom does for the family and household and showing your appreciation for them.


This year I have had death on my mind a lot. I'm not sure if it's because I've been watching a lot of true crime, or maybe it's because I know I should have a lot of things checked off some to-do's by the end of the year, or maybe I've just been living more in the moment and so afraid of not soaking in enough. With that I told Larry I wanted a sort of eulogy type of "card" and that I wanted him to write things he'd miss about me if I were to just not be here tomorrow. I also told him I wanted a "what I love about mom" sheet from the girls (since Pierce is too young to do one), and then some edible arrangements with the bananas, apples, and strawberries. 

Mother's Day Eve Hike

Saturday we hit up Costco (AND got our oil changed at the same time...genius way to spend that tiem if you ask me), had a soccer game in the afternoon, and then  I also wanted to do a hike, our first for the year and VERY hopefully, not our last. I found this Jungle Trail in Draper that sounded like a good one to get us started and, honestly, it was awesome! I don't know if I liked the hike more or driving through the neighborhood of fancy homes we could ooh and ahh to, to get to the trailhead more. I can tell you even though this hike is supposedly a mile, it was so easy. When we got to the end of it and had to turn around the girls were like "wait, that's it? We should go further!" haha.

Sunday morning, Larry let me sleep in while he got the kids up and ready and out grocery shopping. Waking up to a quiet house was so weird and nice and peaceful. I ate a bowl of cereal and watched an episode of "Home Economics" (one of my new favorite shows). After that, I wasn't sure what to do with myself so I just started cleaning up haha. I decided next year I may have Larry take the kids out for a whole Saturday while I clean the house (it's just easier with no one around). 


Once the kids came back I helped put groceries away and told Larry I don't want to do any of the bad mother things (changing dirty diapers, cleaning boogers, punishing the bad behavior) so that's on him haha. He got me my edible arrangements, but it came with pineapple instead of apple (kind of annoying, but it's fine, there's plenty of others to love). 

Larry gave me his "eulogy", which was sweet and very literal, but really triggered my death thoughts more so that kind of backfired haha. I got my "what I love about mom" sheets from the kids, which made me laugh so hard. And he got me a new picture film keychain thing (I needed an updated one with pictures of Pierce in it). I absolutely loved it all.

After lunch, I got ready to watch a movie. I decided on Dante's Peak and, just like at my birthday celebration day, I did it with all the proper movie snacks, in our darkened room, in our comfy bed. It is so perfect. I absolutely love watching movies this way.

After nap time, we drove to mom's and visited with them. We brought her gift and some flowers and Will bbq'd us some burgers and hot dogs. I was so happy to not have to cook anything and just sit back and relax. The best part is she got us some Snider's chicken for us to grill up and the bag smelled SO amazing. I can't wait to cook those up with some corn on the cob and pasta salad. We then went home, did bath time with the kids, and now I'm on my way to finish laundry while watching a movie. Normally, I thought, I'd hate to do laundry on Mother's Day, but I actually liked getting it done and I look forward to folding it and watching a new movie (my favorite Sunday tradition).


Overall, my day was amazing and I was very happy with how it turned out. Larry did so good and the kids actually behaved pretty well.

So to all the other mom's out there, please know without you your house would suffer. Sure, someone would do their best to pick up the slack and enough would get done, but it definitely wouldn't be done as well and there would be a long transition period haha.

No comments: