Pages

Mar 1, 2012

My first cruise experience

Day 2 was interesting, and probably the busiest day of the whole trip. It was a mix of awesomeness, frustration, and a little bit of random accidental entertainment.

We got up early to go down to the breakfast offered by the hotel (FYI when Travelodge says they offer free complimentary breakfast they mean toast, juice, and two cereal choices...yeah). We got ready fast because we thought we had to head down to Ft. Lauderdale, an hour away. After getting a taxi to come pick us up to drop us off at the port (where we were told a shuttle would be there to take us to the Welcome Center and back) we saw there was no shuttle. So after making MANY calls around different centers we found out there was no shuttle, we arrived early for no real reason. That was the only real frustrating part of the day, but they ended up faxing everything we need to the port so we didn't need to make the trip. Going through security was pretty simple, and they pretty much walk you through everything you need, but I was a tad disappointed to find out we didn't get a stamp in our new, cool passports. Because we got there early the place wasn't too packed and we were able to sit close to the boarding doors, we also got to see all the excursions and places on the ship we could visit and have fun with. We signed up for a fancy dinner the first night (Larry's idea since they didn't do "dining with the captain" night on this ship and we did pack the fancy clothes and all) and a buffet the second night. We also signed up for a scuba diving excursion, I was SO excited, I told everyone if there's one thing I want to do on the island it was to either scuba or snorkel, but scuba more, I couldn't wait to do it and have those memories!

We were able to board at noon, but couldn't go to our rooms till two so they offered to take our bags and have them delivered to our rooms when they were ready and then had lunch available on the top deck. Larry and I decided to take our own tour of the ship after eating so we knew where the fun stuff was. I've never been on a cruise ship so it amazed me how much there was to see and do on it.

When we got to our room I was intrigued. It was pretty small, but kind of cozy. It was just nice to be able to get our things in there and relax. At six the ship started it's voyage and watching it leave the port was probably my favorite part of the day. This first night was the night we scheduled to go to their fancy restaurant. Being there was the most interesting part, I learned I'm definitley not fancy and didn't like the food too much, but also we were trated to a show of how a drunk couple can ruin a nice experience for everyone and how unembarrassed they can be by it. This was our accidental entertainment, hearing things like "Don't pull f-ing Dr. Ruth on me!" "I give you everything you've ever asked!" and the rebuttal being "I'm leaving" as she stumbles from her chair was just...wow! I was glad to leave. At this point I was getting tired so we went outside to see if we could see starts real quick, there were none so we decided to go to bed early. We had a busy day of island shopping and scube diving lessons the next morning.

I can't say I hated this day! Some pics:

This was the first thing you saw when you got on the ship.
The elevators (that sucked!) are on the left and right of the fish.

The view from the side of the ship. So pretty and sun shine-y :)

Literally could no get enough of how pretty this water was!

The sunset as we were leaving!


I am going to try and find a way to get some videos on this blog, it's taking to long right now, so there ya go.

No comments: