Pages

Jul 1, 2015

Happy Birthday Larry

So today was my wonderful husband's birthday and let me tell you how long I had today planned for...pretty much since he made my birthday spectacular last year so I knew I had to return the favor. Unfortunately, it didn't work as well as I had hoped (he just gets so lucky, and sometimes that rubs off onto me, but not today). A couple of years ago for his birthday I surprised him with a card in the morning and then just made little plans throughout the day and I kind of had the same idea this year.

Here's some back story real quick though, for one he's always talked about wanting to try "The Beast" pizza over at Tenney's (his new favorite pizza place near us), but it's so big he said he'd only order it for a party or something. Also, he's talked for a few years about wanting to learn how to fly a plane. There's been a deal on KSL where a company will take you up and teach you how to fly for a little bit and someone (i.e. me) can go with you to take pictures and document it. However, we've never gotten it because he's just always said he'd like to do it "one day." Lastly, he used to talk about wanting to see that "Book of Mormon" musical by the guys who created South Park (we're big South Park fans here). So my thought was I was going to surprise him with a card in the morning again, order the pizza to arrive around noon (I previously took one of his old receipts so I'd know what toppings he'd want), come home with some Old Fashioned Donuts (he loves those!), and then take him out to dinner and give  him the tickets to "Book of Mormon". That was the plan.

My post with this caption: Happy Happy birthday to the man I love taking pictures of  When he least suspects it
(they are little moments I'm reminded why I love him so much).
You are the greatest husband, dad to our fur babies, and best friend I could ask for!  I hope I can help you have an amazing day!
Unfortunately, I spaced the card until the day of. I knew I had to stop by the store for the donuts so I didn't worry about that part, I just hated that it didn't get to be a surprise in the morning. I did post a cute little thing for him on Facebook though that he loved (which was a surprise because he normally doesn't get on Facebook and I didn't think he'd think that was my big thing, but he gave me a big hug and kiss when he read it). I got to work and told myself it would be good to wait until 11 to order the pizza so it didn't come too early (I was also going to put in a request that the guy who delivered it told him Happy Birthday as a haha). Unfortunately I had a meeting that made me forget (I normally watch the clock like a hawk when I know something is coming up) so it wasn't until 2 that I realized I didn't order the pizza (UGH!!). My desk mate, Becky, made me realize it might be better for dinner anyways so I could order it before I leave and it would work out. I put in an order before I left and then as I was walking out they called to tell me they didn't have boxes for "The Beast." They said I could order 3 larges as an equal size or something else entirely (blah, he needed The Beast!) I just told them to cancel it and we might come in later. Then as I got to the store I realized I left work later than usual and I didn't want him to suspect anything so I didn't have a lot of time to get a card, the donuts, and get home. I didn't see any good cards in the time I had so I just grabbed the donuts and left. I had the papers from the Flight Experience (that I was able to get, so one thing went right) so I had to write a sad little "Happy Birthday SLP" on that as his card (so sorry babe!).

His donuts and gift/card
As I got home I handed him his donuts and the paper, but I guess he thought the paper was just a paper so he put it off to the side. I had to tell him it was his gift and I think he might've been a little disappointed. Once he opened it and saw what it was he seemed to register how big and exciting it was. I told him I was going to make it happen and all he had to do was let me know when he wanted to go and I'd call to get it scheduled. As for the Book of Mormon play...well when we were in New York I mentioned how I still wanted to see that one and he mentioned that he heard it was weird and didn't seem to into it so I scrapped those plans right then.



Luckily he was a good sport about not having the pizza and I just paid to have one delivered to us with his favorite toppings and sides and he was content. I told him if he wanted to do something we could, but he likes being indoors so we relaxed the night away. So while I had big plans to make it a special day, they kind of went somewhere else. Hopefully I can make it up next year...I'm definitely getting a card earlier than the day of that's for sure. Although at least we know now balloons are out (the cats were TERRIFIED of them from my birthday).

So Happy Birthday babe, so sorry I couldn't make you feel as great as you made me feel on my day, but I promise you are amazing and I'm so very grateful to have you in my life. Everything that's great has been because of you, every day I'm happy before going to bed is because of you. I know no matter what, you're there for me. You're the greatest husband and partner out there! I can't wait to get you in that plane! Hopefully you can say I made a dream come true for you :) Love you forever and then some!

No comments: