Pages

Jun 23, 2018

Reading Adventures

The day I finished my first book since Cara has been born was a good day, the day I started AND finished a book since Cara has been born was an even better day!

I'll admit, having a baby has made me think of things I used to do that I don't get to anymore. Some are good things (I don't just sit around the TV wasting a whole night/week/month watching shows, I actually want to be outside or doing something productive, I don't just throw meals together - I actually want to include veggies to show Cara they are good, etc.), but there are the things I miss (sleeping in, going to the movie theater, staying out or up later than 10 - haha - and reading for as long as I choose to).


So I started the Mr. Mercedes series by Stephen King, a few months before we had Cara. It was an interesting couple of books and it took me FOREVER to finally finish them, but now that I have I am trying to find more time to read. I was reading these ones to Cara (if you've read them and know the bad language, just know that she was way too young to know what I was reading her), but now that she's older, understanding more, and getting closer to the age where she repeats words I'm finding I should probably get more age appropriate books to read her.


I didn't want to go just buying a bunch of books that I didn't know if they'd be good or not, so we decided to dust off our old library cards and go check out the kids section to see what we could find. I found a butt load! Also, am I the only one who was surprised to see you can rent like 50 books at once with the library?! That seems like so much! And you get them for 3 weeks! Why did I think you could only have like 3 for one week? I am SO old haha.


First of  many library hauls
Now that I have great books to read to Cara (usually ones aimed at the new things I'm trying to teach her like body parts, colors, shapes, numbers, etc.) during the day and some time after she goes to bed to read my own books I'm getting so excited to actually read and enjoy books like I used to. I know one day she'll be old enough that I can read like I used to...or heck, I probably could now while she plays, but I hate the idea of tuning her out for my own selfish reasons. I might as well enjoy my few hours with her and read for the couple of hours I have of me time at night...doesn't seem like too much to ask.

No comments: