Pages

Oct 26, 2012

Phase One complete!

So yesterday I went over to my 2nd Lasik consultation at Hoopes Vision. I'll admit when I started this whole thing I was leaning way more towards Hoopes. I knew about them from their commercials, I knew someone who had gone through them, I had 2 eye Dr recommendations for them, and it seemed like they'd be the cheaper option. On paper they came out to be the best one, but I knew I wanted to at least make sure I looked into more than one to see that I was making the best choice.

After going to both consultations, I have to say The Eye Institute of Utah is a MUCH better choice for me! First of all, they were honest in telling me Lasik would be an okay option, but PRK would probably be better for me (in Lasik they peel back a section of the cornea, do the laser treatment, then they put the flap of the cornea back into place as a holder. In PRK they completely shave a thinner layer of the cornea off, do the laser treatment, then put a contact onto the eye to let it heal and re-create the layer that was shaved off and then after 5 days they remove the contact). It's a longer healing period, but they said it should produce more successful results and it's cheaper-PLUS they mentioned if you're in the military or police force they usually prefer them to have this one done (if you want to go into the Marines you can ONLY have PRK done).

I really felt The Eye Institute was more empathetic, less salesman-y, and overall more considerate towards my situation. They were honest without being scary and I felt they didn't just keep passing me off to the next person (I saw 2 people with them VS Hoopes it had to have been around 8 different people), so after seeing both facilities and considering the options I scheduled it for Nov 30th, which means by Christmas I should have (hopefully) 20/20 vision with NO glasses or contacts!!!

EEEEESH! This is so exciting and surreal for me! I have been wanting this since I was 16 years old and I never thought it would REALLY happen, just wishful thinking. I keep thinking of how amazing it will be when I'm finally there, the things I'll be able to see and do without any tethers (things like reading my alarm clock, seeing all the Christmas lights, going to bed without having to pause to take something off our out of my eyes!). The best part, for me, is this means in one year I'll have had my top two needed surgeries I've wanted-I got my wisdom teeth out earlier this year and then this! What a great year this is turning out to be.

Now Phase Two: Get the Lasik and finally see everything! Only 35 more days till I go in!

No comments: