Pages

Jun 4, 2015

New York Vacation Day 2 - Niagara Falls (again)

Oh man, if Day 1 was a good day then Day 2 was amazing! Today was our day at Niagara Falls (the actual falls). I bought the Discovery Pass early on - it's like a City Pass where you pay one price for many attractions. This one covered the Aquarium, Gorge Discover Center, The Adventure Theater, Maid of the Mist ride, Cave of the Winds, and unlimited rides on their trolley. Out of all of those I'd really only recommend the Maid of the Mist, Cave of the Winds, and the trolley (but getting the Discover Pass is still a must, you'd save quite a bit). I wasn't sure about the theater, but as we got our passes the lady said the show started real soon and would be a good starting point so I figured why not? It was so boring! Larry usually likes history stuff, but we both almost walked out of the show. The Gorge was only open on weekends, so we missed out going in that (although I heard it's not as exciting, I just wanted to maybe hike a couple trails they have information on there). The Aquarium was kind of sad. They are supposedly going through some renovations, so it might be better in the future. But really the only thing they had was a big tank in the center for seals and some sad fish tanks along the outside of that.


The U.S. Side
I had originally planned to do the Maid of the Mist and Cave of the Winds last since I knew you got wet and I thought it'd feel better in the afternoon. I'm very glad we did! They were definitely the coolest, wettest parts of the whole day. I will say the ponchos they give you are amazing! I was worried about my phone getting wet (I bought a GoPro for these parts so I wouldn't have to use my phone) so I put it in a plastic baggie, in my bag, behind my sack with my shoes, underneath the poncho and my shoes didn't even get wet! We got to the park at the right time too, we hardly encountered any crowds and the only line we had to deal with was the one to get into Canada. Yup, we got to walk to the Canada side :) I was pretty excited about this since it wasn't in the official plans, it was just something I said I wanted to do if we got the chance (truth be told we kind of stumbled upon the bridge and I said let's go without thinking. Luckily I had our passports in my bag already just in case).




I loved the Panorama setting on my phone's camera

A small section of The Secret Gardens

The bridge is pretty long and the officials that decide if you can get in ask a lot of the same questions over and over (why are you coming? How long do you plan to stay? Where are you coming from? Are you planning on leaving anything? Are you planning on taking anything?) but oh was it worth it! I'd heard that the Canadian side was more green and the U.S. side is more city, and we found that was true. They even had this big garden called The Secret Garden on the Canadian side. Plus you get amazing views of the falls there!




It was amazingly windy at this point
No one got too close to that water
But now I kind of wish I had
Back on the U.S. side (where you have to pay $1 AND go through "customs") we got to see the Three Sisters Islands, lots of dogs, eat at the Top of the Falls Restaurant (a big to-do on my list there), and take tons of pictures! I ended up getting some of the most steps I've ever had on my Fitbit, so I'm very thankful to my awesome walking shoes I got (some Sketcher ones with memory foam soles) and the big tub I got to soak in while Larry was doing school work (seriously, it was a dream!).


You definitely get wet on both attractions.
But once you get back to the docks you aren't
Nearly as wet as this anymore haha.
Overall the day went really well. Unfortunately we did get a bit of sun and forgot the sunscreen so we got a bit fried. But, to me, it was well worth it. We'll see how I feel in the morning though, haha.


 
 
 
Tomorrow we leave for good ol' NYC!!!

No comments: