Pages

Jun 9, 2015

New York Vacation Day 7 - Chrylser Building and Times Square

Well today was definitely different. We had planned, originally, to head over and see the Chrysler Building, head over to the Library, and end the night at Times Square. Well I happened to look up the Chrysler building last night and saw you can't go into it really (just the lobby), we had already done the Library, and our hotel was practically on Times Square so we'd seen it every night. Needless to say I decided was a good day to give Larry his sleep-in day (he'd been asking for one since we got to the city). We still had to get up a bit early (and by that I mean we still had to set an alarm) since breakfast stops being served at 10 during the week and I hate going down in my pajamas, but it was the longest we got to sleep in so far.

Since I realized nothing on the list today was a big deal we took our time getting ready after breakfast, but still decided to head over to the Chrysler Building to take a picture of it and see the area at least. We took a different route today and I think it must be some Jewish holiday or something because we saw a ton of them on the street. We also happened to see a guy just digging in his nose (bleh!) pretty openly, not shame at all.



I decided I still wanted to see parts of Times Square since we mostly just walked past it so far. We ended up doing the Hershey Factory and M&M World. Again, I wanted to get some fun souvenirs, but we didn't really have the room for anything. I ended up just getting some magnets from M&M World for our fridge. I was kind of disappointed because I more wanted to see how things were made, but they both had pretty yummy treats (neither are like the Coke Factories though).




Times Square Pics

Hershey Factory (also the closest shot
I've taken of the garbage on the roads)

M&M World

Cute couple we followed for a bit
Not sure if they were coming from
Or going to their wedding
After those we headed back to our room and saw it hadn't been cleaned yet so we figured it would be a good time for some lunch. This time we found a pizza place (called City Slice) that was open and had good reviews. Unfortunately they didn't have olives for me (I LOVE olives on pizza), but I decided to try their cheese slice anyways. It was good, but they burnt the under part of the crust so it was more crunchy, I'm not a big fan of crunchy. But the guy was nice even though the neighborhood was pretty scary. We saw a guy digging through the trash and another one peeing on a building so we felt we got a lot of authentic experiences today haha.

Big NY Slice of Pizza
After that we went back to our room and saw it still hadn't been cleaned so we thought ice cream in Bryant Park would be good. Early in our trip Larry was craving bubble gum ice cream something fierce, when we went to a couple Baskin Robbins we saw they didn't have any (31 flavors my fanny!). We thought the next best thing would be Dippin Dots (which we had seen around different areas a lot of our trip), which we assumed would be right by the park. We assumed wrong. There wasn't any ice cream place or food truck around, although they did have the Bryant Park Café there, but since we had just eaten we figured we'd just sit down and people watch for a while. I love people watching, I could do it for hours, and in New York you almost can't find anywhere better haha. After about an hour it was past 3 and that's when they've cleaned it by in the past so we figured it was safe to go back. Again, we assumed wrong, it still hadn't been cleaned, but at this point we were so hot and tired we called it quits and just called down to housekeeping for some new towels.

While we were relaxing and trying to figure out dinner (which seems to be my struggle this whole trip. Lunches are easy, but I never know where to go for dinners) our hotel had the fire alarms go off. We weren't sure what was going on, but we didn't see smoke or fire anywhere so we just chilled in our room. We finally settled on Planet Hollywood for dinner (so cheesy, but I wanted something close by) and while we were eating they also had their fire alarms go off. A manager came through to tell us it was just testing and since they were a couple blocks from our hotel we assumed they must do that to certain areas every so often or something. It was pretty good food, still can't get a good root beer though. And I swear, I don't know why they think it's such a fun idea to take pictures all the time. Most of the places make you take pictures, but I'm so sweaty and ready for a shower I never want to...so surprise, I don't buy the pictures because it's obvious I didn't want to take it in the first place haha.

Anyways, it's been a good day, a little off from what I planned, but still good. Tomorrow is finally the Statue of Liberty!!! I can't wait to see that AND we're going to Serendipity for dinner...yay!

No comments: