Pages

Jun 3, 2015

New York Vacation Day 1 - Niagara Falls

Well, what a start to our vacation! Our flight was at 7 AM, and my amazing grandma offered to drive us to the airport to help us avoid parking charges for two weeks (she's pretty much the greatest grandma, in case you were wondering), she's retired and still was willing to get up by 4:30. All this meant I was up at 2:30 AM, Larry decided to just pull an all nighter. Luckily we were able to get the last bit of items packed up and get to the airport to check in early. I will say the security party worried me because of the recent security failure rates article. I had just heard about that the morning before we left, normally I'm not a nervous flyer, but that got to me a bit. As we were going through security I thought they clearly had already made some changes, but I was okay with that (I'd rather they be overly cautious). Everything went really smooth up to this point.

My favorite reason I always fly Delta
Unfortunately, I can't say the same for our flights. They were so bumpy and they completely dropped more than few times. Now that that part is over I can say it was a little fun, but in the moment I absolutely hated it. We had a mini layover in Atlanta, which I normally avoid having a layover in because it's so big and I get stressed out trying to figure out where to go, but it wasn't so bad this time around. We just had to go over one terminal.

I decided I NEED this tub in our future house!

Buffalo is very different. For a tourist town it's pretty ghetto and drivers are really crazy. However, according to Larry the hotel people are really nice (I stayed in the car with the bags since we couldn't find parking anywhere without a room key). I did have to laugh at some karma we witnessed at the car rental pickup. This older lady in front of us got really grouchy for some reason and started complaining to us that our place only had two workers and the others had  more than 4. "I guess we know how they feel about customer service here, huh?" I remember her asking us. Well the guy finally called her and you could just tell she was giving him some attitude. I've worked in enough customer service jobs to know it doesn't help to get angry right off the bat and no one wants to help you in that case so we waited patiently. Right then a third guy came out to get us set up so we didn't have to wait in line very long. While we were getting our car set up I overheard the guy telling "grouchy" that the car she wanted wasn't there just yet and she'd have to wait longer, meanwhile we got ours right away and were able to drive away quicker. I just kept thinking it pays to keep your cool. I could just hear her internal grumbles as we passed by her with our car keys.


Even though we were both pretty tired we did decide to venture out and try a food place nearby called Jim's Steak Out (we both had the steak hogies). It was very fatty, which means pretty decent haha. We also had to stop at Target for some forgotten items (I just knew there'd be something), where we learned the roads here are very confusing. Way too many one way roads and insane drivers. Overall, it was a good start, it could've been worse. I'm just excited to go see Niagara Falls tomorrow!

This was the cute little street
Our hotel was on.

No comments: