Pages

Jun 6, 2015

New York Vacation Day 4 - Rockefeller Center, Grand Central, Empire State Building, and Broadway

So today started off...confusing. We went down to get breakfast (I made sure to book with complimentary breakfast so we didn't need to worry about paying for 3 meals in an expensive city). We found out this meant free cereal, toast, and muffins, but any eggs or waffles cost at least $10, without toppings. It was kind of disappointing, but the free food was pretty good still. For some reason today it really hit me how much I missed the kitties. It could partly be because we had already seen some attractions so to start a 2nd part knowing there's a 3rd made it seem like we would be gone for forever. But luckily Larry's great at calming me down and helping me feel better.

Today on the list was Rockefeller Center, hitting the Top of the Rock observation deck, heading over to Grand Central, and then going over to the Empire State Building and seeing the views from there. We were told going up to the Top of the Rock that it was a little overcast and should be better around noon, but I had been looking at the weather for our whole trip and didn't think we'd ever get any sunshine and I thought our day would be more packed so I didn't want to come back later if there was a chance we wouldn't have time. Even with the gray clouds the views were still really pretty. We got to see all areas of the city. It got windy and sprinkles started, but I didn't want to leave.



Just one side of the top part

Central Park
After Rockefeller Center and the awesome views there, we headed over to Grand Central Station. It's nothing too fancy, but still really pretty. I loved just being in the area I had seen on so many movies. Although, like Times Square, it wasn't as big as I thought it would be. I'm starting to learn that movies definitely hype things up a bunch.


By the way, our hair never cooperated
It was very hot and humid

Grand Central Layout

Empire State Building had some amazing views as well. It was more south so we had less park views and more water/other building views. We were told when we checked in that we could come back tonight to see the city all lit up and I was so for that! I knew we had our Broadway show, but I told Larry to make sure he wasn't too tired afterwards so we could do that. A picture of the city all lit up? How could I pass that up!







The best part about the Empire State Building and Rockefeller Center is all the tour guides were very...well tired of their jobs already (stay with me here). Well Larry was wearing one of his shirts that says something along the lines of I used to be a people person, but people ruined that for me. Oh once all the guides saw it they'd start laughing and talking about how true it was in their jobs. It definitely livened up the experience at that point. I made sure to coordinate his funnier shirts with days we'd be around workers to help make it more fun.

On all our walking today we saw that The NY Public Library was really close to where we were. Since we had finished all the other things early I thought why not go check that out? Surprisingly, there were hardly any books in it. They had some books in the gift shops, but it was mostly marble and art. We laughed at how it had a ton of fire extinguishers and alarms, but it was all made out of marble. Maybe I'm no fire smarty pants, but how fast can fire travel in a marble building?






Bryant Park was right behind the Library so we decided to go get some Panera for lunch and sit in the park and enjoy. This is where I learned that we should've waited until noon to do the Top of the Rock (the sky cleared up a ton by this point) and that pigeons are definitely not afraid of anyone in the city! We got to people watch a bit and they had some people juggling around the park so it was cool to just soak it in. I was worried this trip would be all go, go, go and hardly any relaxing, but we definitely found some time to enjoy the moment today.




I wish these pictures did this park justice
It was way more pretty and peaceful
We ended up heading back to the hotel a bit early, but just enough time to get ready for our Broadway show - Chicago! We were trying to figure out where to eat, I knew it would be best to be close to the theater since I wouldn't be wearing the best shoes. We found a place right around the corner, but it wasn't quite what we were expecting. After many google searches for what was around us: steak n shake, not quite in the mood for burgers. Linden cheesecakes, had bad reviews. 50's diner that looked fun, had a long line to get in. We decided to just stop at the closest place that looked fancy. That's when we found Rosie O'Grady's, a semi-fancy restaurant where Larry ordered an amazing lamb and I got something that wasn't as great. But man did they have great cheesecake. Unfortunately, we found out that Broadway wasn't actually opened anymore, our show was at a different theater. I was kind of bummed because I came all this way to see a Broadway show, but I guess you have to read the fine print when ordering the tickets. The theater was on Broadway street, so I guess that's how they sell a show "on Broadway." It was still a good show, Brandy ended up starring as Roxy Hart, and the singing was great. It was weird though because the band was on the stage instead of in front of it so the actors only had about 3-5 feet of stage to work with and they'd sit off to the side when it wasn't their turn (not off behind the curtains, like to the actual side of the stage). So it felt a bit more like a dress rehearsal than the show, but it wasn't too bad. I kind of wanted to go see the Lion King or Beauty and the Beast to see how those compared, but tickets were still pretty pricey and I wasn't sure I wanted to spend that if it was going to be similar.

The real Broadway Theater

You can see how much my hair just flattened at this point


Loved this chandelier
After our show my feet started hurting like crazy. I didn't want to wear my walking shoes with a skirt so I packed some tiny heels...well they were not friendly to my feet at all. I decided as much as I really wanted to see the city lit up, I was tired and sore from the day and just wanted to go back to the room to relax. Plus the streets were so crowded and we knew the building would be as well. We're not really "crowd" people.

So happy to see our hotel.
Pretty all lit up.
Even with the minor bumps today was pretty awesome. I'm glad we got to see as much of it as we did and finished a bit early as well. Things may be pricey and dirty here, but it's still really cool to say we've been here and are doing this. Here's hoping that tomorrow is even better!

No comments: