Pages

Jun 12, 2015

New York Vacation Day 10 - Wax Museum, Ripley's Museum, Washington Square Arch, and Meow Parlor

I actually slept until my alarm went off this morning...this is pretty huge. I'm not sure what it is here but most mornings I wake up at 7:30, go to the bathroom, and then I'm up until my alarm goes off. Usually I check Facebook or Instagram...something that doesn't get me moving too much. Our room is too small for me to get up and do something because I'd have to turn a light on, which lights up the whole room no matter which light it is.

So on the original agenda today was supposed to be Prospect Park (AKA The Brooklyn Zoo) and Washington Square Arch (the fountain from Friends was supposedly there). Turns out the zoo was another one like Central park where it was tiny and overpriced to get in. We decided to skip that and add in Madame Tussaud's and Ripley's Believe It Or Not Museum. Back story here, back when we did our California trip we stopped off at Madame Tussaud's Museum there. I also wanted to do Ripley's, but since we had just lost Larry's wallet we didn't get a chance to (the wax museum was already on the list and I ended up getting some discount tickets from our hotel anyways). I was happy to be able to compare the two wax museums and finally say I got to see Ripley's this time.

Madame Tussaud's was pretty cool, we also got to see an Avenger's 4D movie that was the most "4D" I've ever seen (the stab in the back I could've done without though haha). Plus we got a lot more pictures at this one (including one of me with the Spice Girls...eeesh!). I laugh because one of the coolest parts is we just saw how they make wax figures on the "How It's Made" show yesterday (I told you I wouldn't see things the same now) so when we got to that part of the museum we were like "we already know this part" haha.

The outside is pretty cool

 
I so wanted to get in and re-live
It, but there was a bit of a line.

#starstruck

I mostly had Larry stand close to show
A good size comparison

Our typical geeky 3- 4-D movie
Glasses picture
Ripley's had a ton of creepy and cool things. There were so many nifty items, not all were creepy and I was fascinated by everything. Larry actually (maybe accidentally) posed for some pics too! It was really funny when he scared the crap out of some lady! I was reading some plaque by some picture and he went off to this part where you could put your head in this plastic bubble and have cockroaches crawl over you. Well I guess this lady thought his head was fake for a while and then he moved it and she screamed so loudly. I didn't see her see him, I just heard her scream and then I laughed really hard when I saw what happened. She was a good sport about it and told him he scared her, but we all had a good laugh together and moved on. I think my favorite part was the X-Ray section where they talk about weird things that got lodged into people and yet they survived. One guy had a lead pipe thing go right through his head (literally into the front and out the back). They were able to do surgery and although he has some nerve damage that caused a limp, he has absolutely no brain damage whatsoever. There was one about a guy who was on a bike with his friend and they swerved to avoid some cars and impaled themselves with a thick pipe. It went through the chest of the front guy and through the armpit area of the second one. They actually had video of the guys in the ER and the pipe in them still...ouch! Oh and we found some real Hillerich and Bradsby bats from when Hall of Famers played with them, that was pretty exciting.


Crazy ceiling

Larry - the half man

Famous Hillerich & Bradsby bats



Washington Square Park and Arch was really beautiful. The Arch was definitely as big as I thought it would be, if not bigger. So that one lived up to it's reputation, but the Friends fountain was no where to be seen. There are fountains all over the city so I'm kind of surprised we haven't found it somewhere, but oh well. We did get to see a married couple taking some sort of bridals/wedding pictures so that was neat haha.


Very clearly not the Friends fountain

Pretty street near the park.
I'm pretty sure this is where they film.
I'd live here if I had to
The moment finally came when we'd get to go to the Meow Parlor, we checked in at the bakery and I got a chocolate macaron shaped like a kitty while Larry enjoyed their air conditioner haha.I was a bit disappointed though because when we finally got to go play with the kitties they were all pretty grumpy or tired (they have rules stating you can't wake a cat up if it's sleeping, you can just pet them). One did happen to take a liking to me called Cookie, but he hated all other cats so they didn't come near me. Larry got to play with one named Luke, a big orange furry one that loved to play with string. It was fun to play with the kitties, but they were nothing like ours (they were super skinny, ours have a bit more meat on their bones. They were more grumpy, while ours would love us no matter what. And I didn't get any head butts like Oscar gives us and that's really what I wanted). I'm thinking if you go in the morning it's probably better though.





Cookie laying down

Luke, where he stayed the whole time

Silly kitty (not sure the name)

Haha!
For dinner I gave in a little bit. I was trying to stay away from any place we'd have back home (because we could have that at anytime), but there was the three story Olive Garden that was really close to us (Kimmy Schmidt fans anyone?) so I figured let's just try that. It was good, but our server wasn't very friendly and the food was more pricey than the home version ($15 appetizers is a bit extreme if you ask me).

Today was really fun, but we officially decided that two week vacations are a long time for us to be away from the cats (but maybe that's because we've yet to get a picture from my brother). At least we saw a lot of cool things today that we know how they were made because of that show haha.

No comments: